Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Interview

Finally, it's interview day. I chose to wear a corporate attire and a clean pair of shoes. I really didn't like wearing corporate clothes but I had to forget that for the interview. It's THE interview that I've been waiting for. I have to get in or else, it's my esteem that's going to hit the floor -- hard.

I went to Ortigas Center and I didn't know where the exactly the building was located. It was even my first time in Ortigas and I wasn't at all familiar. I took a cab and crossed my fingers that the driver knew where I was supposed to go. I cannot be late!

I was supposed to go at Strata 2000 but the driver dropped me off at Strata 100. Almost lost but fortunately, the building was just across the street. I wasn't late. In fact, I was 15 minutes early.

The first interview was a panel interview; there were 4 of us. The interviewer was the HR manager. The questions were general. Describe yourself. We were also asked to rate our English proficiency from 1 to 10 and I answered around 8 or 9. I have always believed in space for improvement. I also have to admit that I'm not a native speaker and I still have loads to learn about the language. The last thing that we had to do was read a long passage. Pronunciation and enunciation should be correct and crystal clear. They were aiming for employees with American accent or at neutral at the least.

We were asked to wait at the reception area. While waiting, I saw this guy in blue polo and tie. He was sitting on his chair with index cards on his hand. No doubt that he was preparing his answers for the interview. Judging by his looks (and the 2 x 2 picture on his resume), he was a fresh graduate and this could be his first job.

I had a knowing smile on my face, looking at the index cards. I remembered my mantra in my head: The interview is just a normal conversation between two normal people. I will be asked questions and I wil just have to answer. It's a normal conversation.

I thought, I didn't really have to memorize anything. I just have to be prepared and my mind, alert. Memorizing answers could jeopardize interviews. It happened to numerous recitations and oral reports in class when the answer does not match the question simply because the answer was memorized; the questions, misunderstood. I have to understand and have a sound mind. I refuse to go on auto-pilot.

The HR manager went to our area and called some names. The initial interview was over and it's time for the final interview with the Operations Manager.

I passed! Unfortunately, the freshie did not.

No comments:

Post a Comment